19 November 2013
For the past week since super-typhoon Yolanda struck with its fury and might, we have been storming the gates of heaven with our prayers. Many members of the Xavier community have already gotten themselves involved in relief operations through Xavier Sulong Muli! Through Caritas Manila we have sent relief goods to Leyte and Capiz; through other channels we have also sent relief bags to Iloilo and Palawan. Our cash donations have reached Culion in Palawan, Northern Panay, and Northern Cebu. Hapag Bayanihan was able to prepare food for many volunteers at various relief centers, principally at the Ateneo de Manila.
There is still much more that we can do. We are embarking on a fund-generating project dubbed RENEW & REBUILD VISAYAS, intended to cover the needs of our distressed brothers and sisters in the Visayas. In time, we hope to identify a community that will be our long-term partner in rising from the ashes of destruction.
We will start receiving donations of new, preowned (but still usable), and non-perishable items on Thursday, November 21, 2013. Drop-off gate will be at GATE 9 from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm.
These items will be sold via a home bazaar to be held at the Angelo King MPC on Friday, November 29 from 8 am to 6 pm. The event will be open to all students, parents, alumni, faculty and staff. Unsold items will be used in the School’s Christmas Drive for janitors, guards and local communities.
May we stress that we have very limited time to sort the donated items so may we request you to segregate your donations and label the bags or boxes based on the types of items below:
• Appliances (in working condition)
• Dinnerware (plates, glasses, pitchers, serving dishes, table utensils
• Kitchenware (cooking utensils, pots and pans, bowls and platters)
• Bed, Bathroom and Table linen (bed sheets, comforters, pillow cases, blankets,
towels, table cloths, curtains)
• Décor items (vases, lamps, paintings, wood, plastic or ceramic items)
Books, Magazines, Audio and Video Materials
• Fiction/NonFiction; children’s storybooks; recent issues of Reader’s Digest and National Geographic, Time/Newsweek, Life; CD’s and DVD’s
Clothes and Accessories
• Childrens’ and Adult’s clothes, shoes, belts, bags, wallets, luggages or travel bags
Toys and Sporting Goods
• Stuffed toys, board games, rackets, balls, bicycles, scooters, toy cars
We sincerely thank you for your continued support.
Fr. Aristotle C. Dy, S.J.